Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My Latest Obsession

I've got a new obsession and its a strange one because there is not a name for it that I can find. I have surfed the internet for what fashionistas might be calling it but I have yet to find the answer. Is it Steampunk style? Not really. Victorian grunge? Sort of. Lumberjack chic? Maybe. So why the search continues, let me show you some images that have my heart spinning.

The look is derived from the vintage man circa 1853-1940. Style that comes from the Gold Rush, coal miners, railroad workers, depression era textiles, industrial uniforms, trade gear and factory fashion with a lot of country farmer mixed in.

First and foremost it begins with the textile. Long before denim was cotton canvas. Used for tents and wagon covers then a guy named Levi Strauss made it into a pair or pants. 

My favorite are the subtle shirt prints: dusty, muted patterns in blacks, grays and brown with the tiniest pinstripe or check. Add a vest, work apron, handkerchief and newsboy cap and now you got fashion!

THEN
NOW
THEN
NOW
THEN
NOW
THEN
NOW

The Barn Jacket. My all-time favorite piece of clothing. For the flea market, everyday errands or walking to dog. Perfect 9 months of the year!
The pinstripe vest.

The small print shirt.

Utility style: sturdy fabric, multiple pockets, double seams.

Denim with snaps and pinstripes.    











My obsession with this assortment of clothing is currently out of control as I am gathering a collection to share with you soon!! (yes, they will be for sale!)